Monday, March 9, 2009

Budget Cooking

Things have been tight around here lately. I have not been able to spend much on groceries. Instead of being able to do so this week I am having to get by on even less.

But it is spurring me on to see what I can do with what I have. Here is part of the plan knocking around in my head.

Today I baked two loaves of bread, two white and one 100% whole wheat. I chopped up some pork leftovers- with this I am going to make chimichongas (sp?) I also have beans soaking for baked beans.

I bought a ham yesterday on the way home from church. It was on sale for $1.19 a lb. I paid just under $14. I am baking it today and serving with baked potatoes, a veg and homemade bread.

Now out of the rest of the ham we will have scalloped potatoes and ham, split pea soup. And if there is enough left, either ham and broccoli wedges or a ham cauliflower casserole.

I have a ton of jello from coupon shopping and am planning a jello salad with some and the sour cream given to us by a friend going out of town. This same friend also gave some ricotta which I am going to try to make something out of.

I have some frozen chicken tenders and wild boar roast (any ideas for that?)

Even when things are tight we as homemakers can find a way to feed our families well.

1 comment:

  1. You have a sweet attitude. I have never cooked with boar so cannot help. I often expand chicken with rice. Of course brown rice is a little bit more nutritious.

    ReplyDelete

/