Friday, June 5, 2009

Wringer Washer

Summer is here and for me that means I get to use my wringer washer! I had wanted one for a while when my mom found one for $50 at a garage sale. I brought it home and put it out by my clothes line. That is right next to my husband workshop/hangout. So I ran a extension cord out the window. The hose come from my laundry room, out the back of the house. This does require lots of trips back and forth!

When I first go it my husband thought I was nuts, said we are real hillbillies now! The first time I went to use it I did the thing they warn you about, got my thumb in the ringer. Oh boy did it hurt, for weeks. But I was to stubborn to quit and give him the satisfaction. But this year he tried to make it better for me, making a little platform for it. He also has plans to make me a table with a sink in it. The hose will go out to this giving me the ability to turn the water on and off without walking to the house.

When I first started using it I had just plastic tubs on the ground for my rinse water. Lots of bending! But then I was able to get my grandmas old washtubs from my uncle. I love the thought of her washing with them. My mom was given baths in those tubs, and last summer my grandsons took their turn.

I so enjoy just being outside doing the wash. The quiet, the beauty of my surroundings. For me it is so much more satisfying to spend an hour out there working hard then to throw them into a washer and dryer in the house. I kind of get a giggle out of what a sight I must be in this modern world. People drive by and I wonder what they may be thinking. Who is that crazy lady, in a dress and apron using a wringer washer! My mom says they probably think I am a very old lady!

So today I will again be out there enjoying a simple pleasure of mine.

2 comments:

  1. How romantic! But just wearing a dress makes ya a little crazy in this world!:) Looks like fun. I love being outside alot too. ~di

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the other day I was thinking about how wonderful clothes smell when they come off the clothes line - you will be enjoying that fresh smell for hours!

    ReplyDelete

/